Sunday, February 22, 2009

Blitzen Trapper

I included a song by Blitzen Trapper in one of my top 10 songs of 2008. I wanted to say a little bit more about them as I've been listening to their recent album Furr recently. Blitzen Trapper is a band from Portland, Oregon. I don't know much about them, although they seem rather young and beardy (having seen them on one of the late night shows). They are strictly in the folk idiom, with a little bit of Bob Dylan/Woody Guthrie with some Flying Burrito Brothers thrown in but also a little bit of weirdness. I post two songs here, both of them quite brilliant. One ("Black River Killer") is a modern day murder ballad. The other ("Furr") is an amazing song about metamorphosis, and the ways in which we can escape our 'normal' lives and truly be free, if only for moments, only to return back to 'normalcy.' Or you can take the song as a simple love letter to nature.

Blitzen Trapper - Furr [mp3]
Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer [mp3]

No comments: