Tuesday, December 26, 2023

10cc - Channel Swimmer

This is "Channel Swimmer," the b-side to the single "Life is a Minestrone" by the British band 10cc, released in March 1975. This was the first 10cc song I'd ever heard, probably exposed to it via Top of the Pops, the episode broadcast on April 10, 1975. However, "Channel Swimmer," I hadn't heard until quite recently, somewhat by accident, in a 10cc compilation that I was listening to. Written by Graham Gouldman (bass) and Kevin Godley (drums) and probably sung by Gouldman, it's really a beautiful little pop  song. Perhaps about someone swimming the English channel to find his love but there's a farcical quality to it too:

"I see your face in every breaker / I see your smile across the reef

I came across the sea to take you / Don't make me out to be a thief"

The twist is, of course.. well, it's at the end of the song.


No comments: